Staying Afloat in a Social World
January 13, 2014
Facebook advertising is on the rise as several dealerships have taken the plunge into the digital advertising world. I’ve heard you wanted to dip your toe into these social waters, well get ready to get your entire foot wet as this is a project you will need to make a full commitment on. Don’t be afraid the water is fine but to stay afloat you should take into consideration this social checklist:
- 1. Utilize social networks that will benefit your dealership the most. Don’t stress about having a presence on every single social network site in existence. There are too many present and that is not worth drowning over. To give you an idea of where to start, Dealer Synergy utilizes the following networks for its clients:
- So you’ve made a few social media accounts, uploaded some exciting graphics of your dealership-now what? It’s engagement time. You should be posting to each site at least once a day. Build a relationship with your fans/followers. But, most importantly keep them engaged! People do not log onto social media accounts to read ads so do not flood their timeline. Practice the 80/20 rule. In other words, your page is 80% social, 20% marketing/information. Show your fans there is a human behind the computer screen and not just a salesperson. Being social means thinking/posting outside of the box. Post pictures of your dealership helping within the community, offer your fans exclusive discounts/promotions, or have your team put on silly sweaters and dance to their favorite songs! It’s all about getting people to share, comment and like your posts which will increase your visibility. Once you have a fan base share with them your specials and ads but again do not spam them. Keep in mind some of your fans have already purchased a vehicle from your dealership so it would be a good idea to provide them with service tips, drop off instructions and incentives. Mix up your posts and remember to interact by responding to comments and messages in a timely manner.
- Get the word out about your page and build your fan base by taking advantage of these free advertising methods.
- Add a link or image to your e-mail signature promoting your page.
- You have several hundred if not thousands of contacts in your CRM/e-mail. Why not send them a friendly e-mail asking them to check out your social media pages?
- You can also advertise for free inside your dealership by posting flyers advertising your pages and adding QR codes for people to easily gain access to your page right from their phone. If you have already used these suggestions you can always take advantage of Facebook Ads and Twitter Promotions where you can advertise for a budget that works for you. We would need to start a separate blog post that explains these advertising methods in greater detail so let’s save that for another day.
One of the most important aspects of getting customers into your dealership is by advertising. Social Media is advertising and best of all you can use it for free! So if you have not dove into the social media ocean it’s time to plan your route and go for a swim!
About the Authors
Dealer Synergy's social media experts stay afloat with the latest trends, techniques, and methods of enhancing social media. They have proven track records in social media management.